Wednesday, March 22, 2006

A Modest Proposal

Before I suggest that you go out and immediately buy/borrow/sit in Barnes and Noble's for 6 hours reading this next book, I must confess that although I've read it several times, it's not what's in my bag currently ("Prison Angel" by Jordan & Sullivan is, but I've only barely read the preface and the first chapter, so more on that later). I was just reminded of this book from reading a blog by Lauren Winner (Laurenwinner.net--really, really good author and thinker). She has written a book called "Real Sex" (which I have not yet read) and seems to be currently a leading Christian thinker these days about modern chasity.
Well, the book I'm suggesting today, "A Return to Modesty," by Wendy Shalit, is not written necessarily from a Christian perspective, but it is quite conservative. It's really excellent. I suppose it's mostly directed at women, but the main themes have nothing to do with the hemline of your skirt or the neckline of your blouse, so I think men would do well to read this too. It ranges from moments that make you think to disturbing statistics about the shape of our sexual culture today, to hilarious synopsis of the "pre-hook-up post-break-up check-up" theory. A good read, and Ms. Shalit, I read your book about 2 or 3 years ago, and am dying for more. Please, please write more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home