Monday, September 11, 2006

Welcome, Xanga-ers!

As I was saying, I found a jewel on my very own bookcase. I once purchased "Orthodoxy" by G. K. Chesterton in college, planning on joining that Rounders group, but never got around to that, or to reading it.
I knew it would be good. I knew it would be deep. I figured it would be just as hard to read as any meaty, classic that we all should read at some point in our lives, but I had just been avoiding it. Shame on me.
It is one of the most refreshing books I have picked up in a long time. Mr. Chesterton puts his faith in terms of romance and adventure and turbulent change. It's almost autobiographical, in his journey from believing certain doctrines, to actually embracing them as his creed. The book moves along with the compelling nature of a mystery, but he explains that "the riddles of God prove more satisfying than the answers proposed without God."
Not that there is anything wrong with logic. I'm a big fan. But it seems most intellectual books put this on the highest pedestal, and focus solely on reason to define theology. But this Victorian English journalist explores God more in terms of poetry, drama, and fluid, active beliefs. He goes into the doctrines of original sin and Christ's divinity that are so applicable to our world today.
For any fans of John Eldredge, Donald Miller, or John Ortenberg, G. K. would have been a fan, and a friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home