Thursday, September 14, 2006

Wandering Through the Kid's Section

As I ran into my beloved B & N (Barnes and Nobles, if you don't know that, shame on you), the other night to pick up Lauren Winner's latest book, Real Sex (I know, risque title, not the "throw in the purse to read in a spare moment" kind of book. I accidentally didn't think about that when I was in the doctor's office the other day. It took about a dozen funny looks before I wanted to scream out, "I'm just getting my eyes checked, people!" ...anyway...), I ironically came dangerously close to the most charming section in the place, the children's section.* It's so alluringly decorated with bright Winnie-the-Pooh characters, and lovely hardwood, that I can scarcely resist going in.
It must be the holdover from the education major days in college. I'm not sure. But although I went running when I realized that I'd actually have to work with 30 of them--at the same time, I'll still argue that it just doesn't get any better than a good work of children's fiction. And in the spirit of my latest clandestine purchases from the aforementioned section (see, I am an adult... did you know the word "aforementioned" in second grade? Well, you would have if you had read a lot!), I'd like to recommend my top 5 favorite children's books of all time. In alphabetical order.**
Here goes:
1. Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
I never read anything by Ms. Paterson that wasn't brilliant and touching and unforgettable. My elementary school librarian recognized a girl after her own heart, and recommended this and "Jacob, Have I Loved," also by Katherine Paterson, in 4th grade, and it has haunted me (in the good way), ever since.
2. From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg
Loved this author's humor and storytelling so much, that just last month, I searched out another read: Silent to the Bone. Good too, but you must read "Mixed-Up." It's like a grown-down (opposite of grown-up?) version of Da Vinci Code.
3. Homer Price by Robert McCloskey (My Daddy introduced me to Homer when I was very small and we still laugh about his foibles).
Mr. McCloskey is one of the most celebrated authors, and left us with some of the most beloved works for children ever written (most of you remember his picture book "Make Way for Duckings"). The stories of Homer Price and his small town life in Centerburg are one word: hilarious.
4. The Nancy Drew Mystery series by Carolyn Keene
Yes, I know this doesn't count as just one, as there are 56 (origianl... and who knows how many more recent spin-offs), but every young girl especially should be able to admire Nancy for her manners, wit, and clever ability to solve any puzzling situation that came her way (with the help of her Dad, and her friends Bess, George, and the handsome Ned).
I hear a rumor a major motion picture is in the works about our favorite girl dectective. I hope so. She stole my heart long before Veronica Mars was on the scene.
5.Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
It's no secret to most of you that I am fascinated by Jewish culture. But this isn't a recent love. I remember reading this book, and my heart being touched by what horrors and triumphs two girls, Annemarie and Ellen (best friends, but Ellen is a Jew), went through during World War II. Every bit as good as "Diary of a Young Girl" by Anne Frank.

Read these to a kid you love, or even yourself for a real treat. And that, my friends, is your first annual Sepember is Back To School reading list!




*A dear thanks to my good friend, Sara, for emboldening me to admit that, at an age where my mom already had two children (scary), I don't! but still READ for children.

**Mr. John Newberry would agree with me. Three of the above are Newberry Medal winners--the highest honor in young adult fiction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home