Wednesday, September 27, 2006

More Narnia

Something about fall time (ok, fall time in Florida means the temps drop to 80, but still...), makes me want to pull out certain genres. Mysteries. Any book that takes place in cold weather places, especially in Great Britain. War stories. Tragic dramas. Grand epics. I guess with the heavy weather comes a certain spirit that encourages me not to take the world lightly.
I'm a firm believer that literature can mirror, or even stir up, real life. And, as I've declared before, you can't read better stories than from our dear friend C.S. Lewis. They contain a bit of every genre--mystery, romance, war. It's because of this I'm sure I'll never tire of his stories, and as I read them over and over, I find truths that grow up with me from the 4 year old girl that first discovered the magical world through the wardrobe.
I was in my beloved LifeWay bookstore the other day, with every intention just to run in and pick up a book that MIL (my mother-in-law) had recommended, when I found myself walking out with several other titles, including "Roar!" by Heather and David Kopp. This book caught my eye with its colorful illustrations by Martin French and guide-like formula.
With the Narnia movie last Christmas, and a renewed interest in great children's literature, it seems there has been a rush of books exploring life lessons for children, and adults alike, through classic literature. But this is one of the best I've seen on this subject.
The book contains so many great features, I was caught up for hours exploring them. The Chronicles take a reader through many adventures, but "Roar!" leads the reader deeper in to the wisdom of Narnia by sharing mythology, interactive activities (including a recipe for Turkish Delight!), indexes of the creatures and places, and even a glossary of the difficult language gap sometimes created for those of us that didn't live in World War II days. Every page is full color and packed with articles, chapter-by-chapter guides for each of the seven books, quizzes, and the history behind Mr. Lewis and his beloved "childrens'" stories.
To explore the world of Narnia further, also check out:
-A Field Guide to Narnia by Colin Duriez
-Companion to Narnia by Paul F. Ford
-Lessons from the Lion by my personal friend, Michael Pritchard
-both CDs, Music Inspired by The Chronicles of Narnia and the score to the motion picture contain fabulous music.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home